Monday, November 28, 2011
Monday, October 31, 2011
Friday, October 21, 2011
Friday, October 14, 2011
Through the brand making progress I have shifted gears a little bit. From the Phase 2 crit, there was a lot of problems with the type lock up. From there I have swapped the typefaces, letting the Helvetica Neau be the Simpatico front.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Monday, October 3, 2011
Going into Phase 2 there was a lot of exciting possibilities for me to explore with the foundation that Kidwell provided for us. It became very clear on why the essence, attributes, and objective are so important. Before starting any "designing" knowing the content of your subject, and understanding the differences between these points is crucial. It was a challenge to come up with three different design solutions for branding. In the end I was very pleased with my results. By the end I was unsure about what direction was my "signature" one.
The first direction I struggled the most with. Perhaps because it was the last for me to work on, but every time I tried something I would get discouraged because I felt I already had something similar. The mark was very nice, it had that rhythm into being pleasant. By the end, the designed part was nice, and had the contemporary feel I was trying to achieve. However, when I would go over and over, there was lacking of that personal approach that I want to create.
The second choice had a nice concept. I wanted to look at all the different ways in which we dream. Whether that be somewhere you live, or just sleeping. There was an interesting twist when the crescent mark formed into an abstract cloud. One part I struggled with was getting the right colors. I would always come up with a dark blue and peach swatches. For this direction I wanted to move past what was obvious and focus on something different. When I matched the deep violet, it was the hunch I was looking for. Another issue I had with this direction was the photography. I think I focused too much on the content, and not enough on the treatment of the images.
I picked the third one because I felt it completed the attributes the most. Making the patterns was actually an accident. Originally I was just going to have a couple "i's" in a row, but once I started to really examine the beauty of Bodoni, it came pretty natural. It was good to be pushed into focusing on every detail of the brand. Through this process I had tried many different typefaces for the logo. I was drawn to Bodoni because of the dots on the "i's" and its smooth weight shift from stem to serif. How the slightest adjustment can improve (or decrease) the over all quality of the brand. Moving forwards there are many tweaks that need to be made to this direction. Perfecting the patterns is one, and working on the photography.
Janna (Phase 2)