My Blog List

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Artists role in society class

For my art history class our mid term assignment was to write about how we want to contribute to society. We were working in teams so I got the idea to make a blog about our group. My teacher absolutely loved the idea and I told him about how it is an easy way to communicate with my teachers. I wanted to share what my response was, and the additional comments by the other members' of my group. I thought it connected into what I have learned in all three of my design classes this semester.Of course by the time I am a senior and completing my thesis, my answer will probably have changed, so I hope you enjoy this little something extra.

Many people ask me what exactly Graphic Design is, or what I will be doing with the degree after I am done with school. I usually respond with designing logos, websites, signs, etc. One of the most interesting aspects of Graphic Design is that it has its way of making itself into any area. I believe that Graphic Designer's have a big role in society. They are able to make environmental signs, or anatomy books for doctors. I want my role in society to help people and educate them. It is extremely important to me to reach out to other people and help them. My role in society is to help give guidance in little aspects of society, and to entertain. I would like to be a environmental graphic designer, making billboards and signs to help direct people. I would also find it interesting to be involved with motion graphics. Depending on what companies I will be working with, I want to help give notice to important activities going on in the Kansas City area. I believe all Graphic Designer’s have a certain role in society. I do not believe what I will be doing is high/ fine art like I have learned in my Art History classes. I do think they have a modern way of becoming the new fine art. Making signs, logos, layouts all are things that we as a society read. One of the things that I plan to do with my work is help people communicate with each other. I think despite what exact graphic’s I want to focus on; this will be my main objective in my career. One of the problems with society is the amount of information that is tossed around. As a designer my objective will be to simplify the functional art forms. This can be delivered in many ways; I’ve seen some designer’s make basic educational programs for elementary kids. Some designer’s make sites combining different culture groups to interact with each other. In the end I wish for people to find themselves interacting with other people in a less complex way. I believe as a artist and a designer this makes the perfect blend to help society.

Interviewed by SS:
You said that your role in society is a desire to help people and educate them. What type of approach do you think you are going to take in order to achieve that? 
I think it is wonderful that you want to be an environmental graphic designer that makes billboards and signs. Could you explain more about what type of work you do as an environmental designer. Is it the content...perhaps the information that is environmental and/or the process of the work and materials used?
I think that work like yours also could be considered collaborative work, besides social and educational.
What types of groups or organizations are you considering for future work and why? have you considered working for yourself and starting your own local design group?

Me: The truth is I know I want to contribute to society by educating them. I would love to do this through motion graphics, but the specific area of what exactly my project will be I am still unsure about. Of course I get ideas at 2 am, but usually forget them by the next day, haha. What I would really like to do once out of school is join community groups that they will direct my skills in however it can be useful for the organization. I have been thinking about what specific projects I would like to work on, and I would like to possibly help elderly people. A few years ago, I volunteered at a nursing home and practiced a little bit of art therapy with them., and really discovered a sensitive side to myself. I would like to take that passion and some how geared it towards helping them. If I could make a wish, it would be to make a specialized program that elderly people could relate with. However, i just might be stepping into boundaries that is not in the graphic design field. Although, I am unsure on exactly what specific projects I will be doing, I know that I want to contribute to the communication of people through graphic design.

SS: Sounds like we have such similar interest! Perhaps we could work together on a project.
I love that you want to expand out more than just a labeled field you chose for a degree. That is the creative person that you are seeking heeling through art to share with others. I know i great place to start if you don't mind a suggestion is Homecare. I worked for them in the past, and you can work with all ages. I think i have even seen a poster in the library about it. It could be something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment