My Blog List

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Carrer Goals

When thinking about what type of career I would like to achieve there are several different aspects that come into my mind. First would be location. I have lived in Kansas since I was 6, and I am ready for a change. Both of my sisters live in Denver so over break I got online to look at different possibilities for jobs. My search then became more specific on what the job in tailed, which brings me to the next aspect of what my function would be. One job that stood out to me was Design Research, making site maps, and wireframes. From a year ago I always thought I would have a specific interest in motion graphics. This changed when doing the research book and becoming more involved in IA. Also MX and Visual Advocacy helped me to determine that I truly love doing research. Setting up interviews with people and discussing with them about what the topic may be is also a part I like. Like going to Ivanhoe and recognizing problems within their community they need help with was gratifying. With the job I get, this is the type of outcome I am wanting to receive, to engage and help people. As a designer I feel like my strengths are within the first steps of the process, that being researching, coming up with ideas, planning out how to solve the problem. I am also beginning to realize I have a harder time working through some of the formal qualities, so perhaps working with a company that I could research wireframe and work with another designer on the formal qualities.
Places I want to look for a job: San Diego, Washington, Arizona

Another aspect would be to one day go to grad school and further dig into design research and information architecture. With design sometimes I feel like the further I get into this world of graphics the more information I want to grasp. After having a job for a few years I wish to go back to school to further my education and also give great emphasis on an area of design. Between now and the future I might realize that design research and site mapping is not something I would like to do, but applying for my masters I can perhaps focus on something different.

Quick Goals:
1. Company that is involved in their community
2. Outside of Kansas City
3. Working with a diverse group of people
4. Going to grad school
5. Freelancing within my community
6. Becoming more involved in AIGA

The people I work with will be very crucial too. Over the summer at AC, the people were incredibly nice. The team all work very close with each other and feed off of each other's strengths. This quality is probably pretty obvious, but in reality it makes a big impact to the designer. To find a company that I am comfortable with will help me build myself as a designer. I am also a designer that loves feedback and is always reaching to get better. For the people I work with, I will want them to push me to become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment