My Blog List

Friday, May 7, 2010

final review mock

For my final review I wanted to reflect on what we have learned in one class and how that skill was applied into other classes. These points I find very valid now that I was unaware of at the beginning of last fall.

- The dot book was a way of showing design principles in a reduced visual way. For example the impact of proximity was useful in type to show hierarchy. (scale difference as well)

- Learning how to combined forms, analyzing them to make forms interact together in a collaborative way. Like in my krypton monogram, taking a san-seirf, and serif typeface to make a clear element. Later I used it in my 6 Degrees poster to make complied images into one composition.

- The idea of keeping things cohesive. This is important because it helps to keep certain aspects of the project unified. For example we used this in typography with spacing, typeface choice. And also in my icon set, choosing to break the frame side, top, and bottom.

- Deeper meaning- using denotation and connotation to create an emotion or a conceptual meaning behind is important, because it gives the viewer information or lets them connect with the subject matter. Like in my taxonomy, using social norms in the ocean that a person can relate to. We broke into the deeper meanings when we studied the semiotics signs of icon, index, and symbol.

-trial and error- One of the most important ways to become a successful designer is showing many different possibilities into one idea, or concept. Experimenting with typography, image manipulation, or even doing many different color swatches all go into how to give choices and then being able to make them. Through reducing certain parts and expanding on others is how we developed our "process". Through trial and error a designer is able to develop a system which can either work or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment