My Blog List

Friday, April 29, 2011

DIY Bargain Spree

Bargain Spree is an app that allows for people to post up coming yard/ estate sales for the
DIY culture.















When designing for the iphone app it was very different than the last two projects in our Information Architecture class. In those projects we focused on how the user can have a non-linear experience through the web. When developing an iphone app the content is condensed through scale and information. In the web there are roll overs and the space to extend the information as needed. In the iphone I have found quick and to the point is the best option (while being clear). When doing the collection site, there was the option to make a page developed to details of the site, while also having a home page. In the app that is a bit different. The user needs to be guided through in a clear way, but the information that the designer gives them should be slimed down. In the iphone app there is a level of interactivity that is much different than developing a site. By letting the user become accustomed quickly to how the app works is crucial. In a website or printed piece the attention span might be slightly longer than an developing an app. People want their information accurate, and clear in a quick way. Before this experience I never realized how much I use my iphone. I also never realized how I use it in a timely manor. Another component would be the difference in scale. In print, the general scale is nothing less than 10 pt( if that), and in web nothing less that 14 pt. Finding the right point size was an issue that I had at the beginning. Another issue I had was how to clearly identify where to go, and what information is available in the app. Personally, I find that when designing it is easy to just go accordingly to what I think would be natural. However, when designing for anyone else, let alone a tailored design, even if it's non-linear it needs to have a clear direction for where the user needs to go next.

In the last week I have had issues with my design. These issues are both aesthetic and the experience for the DIYer. Since the scale is much smaller the graphic elements must be limited. Such "fun" qualities for example underlining, or a busy patterned background. These were graphics that I thought might be nice but ended up being unnecessary or unledigable. There is still a lot of work I need to do with making the type legible to see.

The tailoring aspect to this project has been relieving. Since there was a problem to help and try and fix it was fun to investigate this culture. I have found through Ian and Brandon's research that DIYer's are beyond just home improvement. Trying to narrow down the basics of what they might be looking for in yard sales was difficult. This was one of the design challenges, to narrow down the content. I read through the information and picked out key components that I thought they could relate to in the "interest" section.

The next step is to find a unified way to connect to the DYIer's(painter, builer, baker, etc). My background image needs the most work. Although some DIYer's might be into gardening, not all are. So finding the visual language that speaks to them will be the next exciting challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment