My Blog List

Friday, September 9, 2011

Review Ivanhoe concept

After talking with Chris today he brought up some really good points about my first proposal. With this type of project I'm still unsure about how I see the end result, however I am excited to find out. Before I got too caught up in the Door to Door Org. Although, it is a great system, it is probably not the most appropriate for the Ivanhoe community. My new objective (and this could always change) but to contact local farmers and see if I can gather an arrangement of fruits, veggies, poultry, perhaps even make goods for the people of Ivanhoe. Within this bag of goods I want the Ivanhoe people to get more excited about eating and cooking. I want to try and create a system that eventually will transition into the community is apart and selling their goods. As of right now there is about three different actions, and with luck, they will come together.

1. The first thing to do is make out a list of different "healthier" foods that one family should be able to support on for a week. Then head off to Sunfresh, Wild Oats, Trader Joe's to compare prices on the basics that a family might need to live by. How much can fit into one paper bag even.

2. Interview or talk to the people of Ivanhoe to figure, how much they usually spend at the grocery store. What types of foods do they wish were more accessible, and how long those groceries can last. I want to first talk with Dina because I feel like these are borderline personal questions and my intentions is not to offend anyone.

3. Do some prototyping, With an estimate of a weekly budget, I got from Dina or resident go back to the grocery store and see if it is possible. What food groups get dropped. This step might seem like I will already have the answers I need, but by experiencing this, it will help my research to find those types of farmers around the KC area.

I'm a little unsure if this is the correct direction to be going in. As much as this will be a great way to get groceries for the residents, it is still a design project. In what ways can I visually communicate with the residents of Ivanhoe.

Possible Ideas could be:
-how they initially hear about it
-how they order the bag of goods. pen/ paper. tear section out of the local newspaper
- what type of bag does it come in, recyclable, size,
- what comes in the bag other than foods, recipe cards, tools for gardening
- more to come


No comments:

Post a Comment