My Blog List

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Final Statement







































This is my juxtaposition book. We started with simple line drawings in illustrator and turned them into connections around a certain environment. I decided to take my photographs down town Kansas City. I believed Kansas City to have many different urban sites. It was important to show the diversity that happens in the down town area, the big brick buildings, modern sculpture, signs and more. While composing the photographs it was important to be thinking about the lines study we have made previous. The goal was to make connections between the line studies and the urban environment. After a couple different shoots, I began to see exactly what those connections were. For me, it was important to go out during sunset, because I would receive more dramatic shadows for my diagonals, or curved line studies. Once the photographs were taken it was time for the revising. Every photo littlest detail needed to be an element in the line study. Making those comparison's helped my eyes to adjust to really looking at things both as a whole and in small detailed pieces. Being able to vector it was helpful to make the lines match up, because of revising. (but that process is in another blog) By the end of revising, cropping, vectoring I had 12 pairings, with also variations between a couple of them. Another important tool I learned through this book was the value of variations. Not just taking the first composition that comes to mind. When looking at some of the elements of the line studies and the key points in the photos, if it was a good match most likely it could be a juxtaposition in more than one way. Once all was finalized it was time to narrow down. I then looked at the book as a whole, not the individual compositions. I wanted the pages to be linked together, almost like a harmonious path. Walking through the down town area there is diversity in the environment but it does flow, the architecture, signs, molding on buildings seem to fit together and I wanted to carry that into my book. I wanted the pages to seem like they are linked together but one composition moving into the next, while keeping an even balance in the compositions. For example I tried to put pairings of right page photo left page line studies at different points. To have the pages seem like the viewer isn't confused by why the page and pairings are in that order. Through the whole process I think I gained more organized thoughts through this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment