My Blog List

Friday, April 9, 2010

Iconic Final Spreads





For my final spreads it was a challenge to make them but very rewarding when it came to putting them together. Through all of the type and vis com projects I have learned and practiced how to put together a way of thinking and relating text, image, and visual forms. It feels redundant to talk about how revisions is important, but yet at the end of the process I always wish there was just 5 more minutes I could have with the teachers for advice. Through all of the projects we have worked on they have been little stepping stones into the bigger aspect of designing. Yet, when creating these spreads I am still going back to those stepping stones to make stronger "projects". Like with this project looking at all the layouts I got back into the mind of thinking what the juxtaposition is within the spreads. I would focus on how to visually show a comparisonlike we did in the dot project. One of my problems is to build on these steps and combine them instead of thinking in parts. To approach the process using a combination of the things we have learned. Certain ideas such as using proximity, scale, color, COHESION, lining things up, etc.

When first looking at all the information graphics I was overloaded with all the different ways to make them. I was also terrified of creating something with so much depth. However, by going through the process I began to understand how to make them. In my personal opinion the process was the most important part of this project. From gathering all the information, and sticking them to the butcher paper, to cutting out the parts that don’t work, was all crucial.

Even when making the paper protypes I would think about how to show an interesting yet cohesive way of displaying information in a visual form. The hardest part of this project was to take the information develop it into a system that the viewer can relate to while communicating new information. Other difficult tasks were to see how the info graph can relate to the spread. Simple ways of working the graph into the spread I used was using the same point size or typeface. Another approach was to use the colors of the icons within the spread, like the quotes or boarder. I also decided to use the magnifying glass to at the top to give the impression of taking a closer look into the snail, and a sequence that was repeated in the spreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment