My Blog List

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Type Topic


Through the research that I have done I have narrowed down my ideas to looking at the arrangement of type on a composition. What can happen in physical space type verses digital type? This interest is based around how type and video function together. My interest is to blend digital type and physical type together to create an experience for the audience. From my research I have not found any specific examples that do exactly what I am interested in, however bits and there are bits and pieces that I have collected that have given me a push to the “experimenting” part. The traits would be putting text or words in front of the camera and then when editing to see if I can unveil more text, and what can that relationship be. Can the relationship be influenced by the distance in space, how the words are executed in a formal way, does it heighten a story that can be told.

There is a wide range of examples that I found, 3-d digital type, type in perspective, hand made type. In all of the examples the type would inform the viewer on the content (like type should do). But what I am wondering is how can type bring out an experience for people, or what can it influence the story behind the content.

One of the places that I have seen this happened (in the motion world) would be title sequences to movies, commercials, studio reels, and entertainment videos ( youtube, vimeo). There are no exact places that are doing exactly what I want to be doing but there is plenty of motion graphic studios that are placing type within the environment of the subject like Stardust, MK12, and DesignKitchen. Some Graphic Artists would include Kyle Cooper (who was involved in the title sequence for Seven) and Maurice Binder.

From the places that I have seen type been used it usually is in informative way. Meaning they are explaining people that are involved in the movie /t.v show, or explaining the content. My approach will be to think about how the meaning of type and the arrangement can function as a main component to the narrative. Through my research I have found it is how people film type that can be interesting, in different angles, and from different spaces. From my other type classes we have expanded on how typography can change the meaning of something or influence the content. With my experiment I want to see how this can be expressed through video.

I believe that these are important questions to answer because it talks about the arrangement of type in a digital form, that I have not gotten to expand with. More and more people are starting to look for information within the digital world, and by giving information through video its a way, I can start to build an experience for people. I also believe that it is important because it helps me as a designer to explore what the arrangement of type can be in motion. I think that with this experiment it will also help the timing issues that I had in narrative class, and to clarify what comfort level the audience can read type as.


categories

1 comment:

  1. good thoughts, and good level of detail here. i like the approach you took on the importance of the topic -- how it's important to you personally as a learning experience.

    i'm glad to see you have stayed tightly focused on this area and have worked hard to learn more about analog and digital kinetic type.

    ReplyDelete