My Blog List

Friday, March 5, 2010

Vis. Com 2- Color Swatches-edit



When applying color to my icons, I wanted to keep in mind what my story means. I tried to stay away from artificial or industrial colors, and look for more organic and playful hues. In class we discussed the connotations that colors can have, and in relation to if those connotations match our narrative. For me, I realized that I have nice deep earth tones but I should be looking for some more lighter tones. Jamie said the most successful icon's were the ones that had a contrast in color.
For my revision's I want to really be more experimental with the color swatches, rather than just filling them in. Like expanding the background so that it looks like a shadow, or highlight. The icons that have outlines are too complex and take away from the curves of the icon. By the end of class I was trying to think how I will be applying three colors to my icons. I started sketching some ideas with different line weights. Another idea is to add a child like scribble into the white spaces without entering the negative space (the basic idea was a coloring book) . I don't know if this would help my narrative.
For the color's, my approach is to use earth tones (getting the bug yucky connotation) and have some more lighter colors (not too saturated, because some pure hues tend to look like they are artificial) but to help strengthen my narrative of a child on a bug hunt.




Yucky, Ew, Gross layouts!- I need to keep in mind of keeping things cohesive and try and be more "fun"/ non-boring with my layouts. Although the swatches are easily to understand, they are just vanilla.

Here are some of my color swatches. It was exciting to see all the different color combinations that came from the photos. One of the more difficult parts was picking the correct color to go along with my narrative. It was also hard for me to be really picky about the swatches, and the gradation between the different colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment